Saturday, August 05, 2006


Well today has been a very busy day. My best friend Angie is getting married this month and I have been helping her with her wedding for the past 5 months. I feel so worn out yet so excited for her day to come. She had asked me once how I liked being married. I grinned and said ummm its ok. Well when I think of that response now I feel that I set her up for failure. As I sat there watching her today at her shower I felt this urge to hug her and tell her that marriage really isn't ok... That instead it is an amazing adventure that will have windy roads that can lead you to dead ends but all you need to do is ask for directions and work together to get back on track. I look at my marriage and I see the paths I have taken, I see a lot of dead ends with tents that are blown over and abandoned. I realize that I camped out at the dead ends I came to, hestitant to ask for directions. It has taken 7 years of marriage and plenty of dead ends to see what a perfect road I have had all along. I am sure this does not make a lot of sense and I am sorry. I guess what I am trying to say is that I have discovered that even though the road I am on has bumps and cracks that it is still the road I want to be on. All I need is a little tar and faith and I will be able to keep on moving.

3 comments:

TX Girl said...

I love how you describe marriage. It really is a windy road and sometimes a little bumper than we would like, but.. well worth the ride. I'm glad y'all have decided that the ride is worth it.

Remember- read this post everyday. When you get frustrated, when you are tired, when you need a little help... it will help remind you.

skbkmjfamily said...

I think all of us have to learn the hard way that Marriage is nothing like "getting married". I think a lot of us are more excited for the wedding, but than we don't realize what it will take to make a marriage. I also like how you put it. Marriage is hard, it is trying the very worst of us. I have learned that I can't look to the world to fix my problems, it only brings on more. Than I have to shut the door, and look at my little family. If I am too busy looking at what others have, I miss the greatest gift I have standing right in front of me. He may not offer what others offer, but in the end he is offereing me the perfect things, the things that my soul needs.
Always remember that we all will pray for you and stand by you. We love you both. And like Lara said on the bad days read this. And don't forget to tell HIM more than you tell others how much you love and appreciate him. If I want to be treated a certain way than sometimes I have to give the 200% to him, and know that he will one day in turn treat me that way. Marriage is not 50-50 sometimes it is 80-20 or even on the bad days it is 100-0, but that is what makes marriage yours and yours alone. Don't be afraid or angry about the days that you feel you give more, because the next day might be the day you need him to give you more.
I love you.

Anonymous said...

I love this picture of you and Jeff. I think that it is the best one I have ever seen of the two of you.

J and I love you guys very, very much! I know without a doubt that you made the right choice. Nobody is perfect and you can't expect two imperfect people to make a perfect marriage. All you can do is love each other and do your very best. If you each put the other person first, you will find a happiness that you never knew existed. It is those times that make the hard times (when they come) bearable.

Your kids will benefit more than you will ever know from the choice you made. They will learn to never quit, never walk away from the hard things, and that family is everything.

By the way, we want a copy of this picture.
L-
J and J